Sports Analytics Club Resources
This is a companion site to the NCSU Sports Analytics Club website. Its main purpose is to provide programming tutorials and interactive visualization tools.
Download and Install R
There are many ways to view, edit, and run R code, but we recommend starting with the Rstudio editor. Here we will show you how to download R and Rstudio so you can get started with coding!
1. R software
To download R, go to http://cran.r-project.org and follow the instructions below.
- Click "download R" on the main page.
- Scroll down the list of mirrors to find "USA" and then "Duke University" for the fastest download.
- Select the right download for your operating system (Mac, Windows, or Linux).
- Choose the "base" option, where it says to "download R for the first time."
- Finally, choose "Download R 3.2.2 for XXX", where XXX is your operating system.
2. Rstudio editor
To download Rstudio, go to https://www.rstudio.com and follow the instructions below.
Choose "Download Rstudio"
From the "Installers for Supported Platforms" list, select the right download for your operating system (Mac, Linux, Windows).
Once downloaded, run the installation file and follow their instructions.
If you have a Windows computer, you can also check out these videos to walk you through installing R and Rstudio.